August 16, 2009

Penne with Peas and Homemade Ricotta

A month or so ago I found out I would be spending almost a week at home with just the dogs for company. I love to be home alone, but nearly a week would be quite lonely. I did what any girl would do: call their best girlfriend. That's my little sister Cindy, and she readily agreed to entertain me for the weekend in the way of shopping. I wanted her company for dinner too, so I offered to make dinner, dessert, and teach her how to make it at all at home. She agreed to that too! Yea! Last night we had this delicious pasta dish with peas and ricotta and to make it really special we made out own ricotta cheese too. So good!!! Here is the recipe for homemade ricotta.

Penne with Peas and Ricotta Cheese

1 pound penne pasta
3 cups frozen peas
1 cup chicken stock
2 cups ricotta cheese
2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 cup fresh basil leaves, sliced or torn
1/2 teaspoon salt
pepper

Bring a large pot of water to boil, add the pasta, and cook until al dente.
While the pasta is cooking, simmer the peas in the chicken broth for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and mash about half of the peas in the saucepan with a fork. Place the peas in a large serving dish, stir in the ricotta, salt, and pepper.
Drain the penne noodles and return to the large pot. Toss with the butter until the butter is melted. Add the pasta to the ricotta and peas mixture and toss to combine. Add the basil and parmesan next, toss to combine and serve topped with more parmesan. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Wow - looks simple and delicous! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is! Do try the homemade ricotta. I made this recipe a few times with store bought ricotta and it was good, but it's fantastic with the homemade.

    ReplyDelete