May 18, 2009

Fresh Mozzarella in a New Way


I have a fond memory of Brazil: sitting in the Comeia (the pavillion) on the farm around noon, with a drink in hand, and fresh farmer's cheese cubes on a plate for snacking. Ok, so that's not my memory because I was just a kid and spent my time running around, getting dirty, and then jumping in the clean pool water! We probably got away with all that because the adults were, as I said earlier, sitting in the shade with a caipirinha or beer in hand and snacking on cashews and fresh farmer's cheese. I haven't been able to find the same kind of cheese here (probably because we actually made the cheese on the farm from unpasteurized milk), but fresh mozzarella is a great substitute. I always see mozzarella paired with tomatoes and fresh basil, but this is a quicker way to prepare this appetizer- believe it or not! Enjoy!

Fresh Mozzarella and Oregano Appetizer

Fresh Mozzarella cubes
Extra Virgin Olive Oil*
Oregano
Salt

Just drizzle olive oil over the cubes, then sprinkle salt and oregano! Done!

* Extra Virgin Olive Oil is meant to be used fresh (as in not heated) since it has a milder flavor and lower smoking point than 'general' olive oil. Extra Virgin Olive Oil is derived from the first pressing of the olives and is quite delicate. Keep it on hand for dressings and salads, but also keep a bottle of 'general' olive oil to use in cooking.

4 comments:

  1. Great idea! When I saw the title, I thought you'd MADE fresh mozzarella. Have you ever done that? We should try sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, now that's an idea: homemade mozzarella! I will look into it and report back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm taking fresh mozzarela & your recipe to Laura & Glen's this afternoon. I planted the oregano in my garden yesterday. It smelled so good as I planted it. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK. I have liquid rennet, citric acid & 1 gallon of whole milk. I though you had a recipe for fresh mozarella here. I did find one on: http://www.gourmet.com/recipes/2000s/2009/01/mozzarella

    I'll give it a try & let you know how it turns out. I'm thinking we might be able to make some on vacation....

    ReplyDelete